The Icelandic nation is thunderstruck. The much acclaimed experiment in neocon-free-market-capitalist -governance has collapsed. People in this long-standing parliamentary democracy are now asking; Who knew? Who was informed? Who gave the permission for this to go on to its inevitable conclusion?
I for one would want to ask every single member of parliament these two questions.
Did you know that Private Corporations where operating abroad backed by state guaranties?
Did you ever inform your electorate of this fact? *
The only information I’ve got is that these are the rules of the EU and the European Free Trade Association (EFTA). – Which justifies it?
It seams to me that we as a nation have lost our reputation much like a rape victim, that “we the people” have been led into debt slavery for generations to come, and finally, to sweeten the blow will be the first ‘developed’ nation in years, having to ask the IMF for ‘help’.
Is this a prime example: of shock doctrine and disaster capitalism, of corrupt politicians in bed with corporations, of idiot ideologues, of marginalized public, or are the answers to be found in the sacred texts of the Chicago School of Economics (…which of course were not followed to the Marxist letter)?
If you are living in a privileged country like we were, maybe it’s time to come out of the hypnotic trance so lovingly catered for by the mass media. – After all, the bursting of the ‘fractional reserve’ and/or derivative bubble’s is waiting for all of us.
* Deep (legal) Thought is already hard at work disputing the nature of reality in general and of facts in particular.
- Kaarlo Jännäri: Report on Banking Regulation and Supervision in Iceland:
- Danielsson & Zoega: The Collapse of a Country
- Ralf Hoppe: Iceland’s Warning to the World – “We’ve placed our economy in the hands of criminals”
- Iris Erlingsdottir: Iceland’s Conservatives Try to Rewrite History
- Striking resemblance? Characteristics Associated with Cultic Groups
- Naomi Klein: All of Them Must Go – “We won’t pay for your crisis!”
- Robert Wade: Iceland Crisis
- IMF: (What Kind of Animal Is It?)
- Nathan Lewis: The IMF Destroys Iceland and Latvia
- Federal(?) Reserve: Modern Money Mechanics
- What some of us are thinking: Borgarafundur (IS)
- Lara Hanna: Blog (IS)